MightyBands, home gym system

Monday, April 7, 2008

CC

Are you a carbon copy of your instructor? Is this what your wing chun instructor wants to encourage in you and his class? I should hope not.

Do not seek to mimic your master. Seek what your master sought.

Your teacher should encourage your different expressions and interpretations of wing tsun, as long as you're not deviating from its principles, as well as encourage questions, criticisms, and observations. We are not bees, we are not robots. Self-defense and the act of fighting is always in a constant state of flux, and by mimicking what you've been taught instantly puts you at a disadvantage as you've completely ignored this concept of flux.

I think this is where I disagree w/ the one and only Bruce Lee and his view of classical kung fu. The kung fu is not classical - only the teaching methods. Kung fu in itself satisfies the principles and fills the gaps that he believed were missed...Instead, the principles were missed by the teacher and the gaps produced by his instructors teaching methods.

Interestingly, I do find that there's a lot of Bruce Lee carbon copies out there...anyway..I'll save that for another time.

The point for now, is that you should observe to see if your instructor fosters an environment of synergy - bringing together what you've learned (your self discoveries, observations, etc) with what your instructor knows to solve future problems during training..rather than hearing him say "no this is wrong", "this is right", etc etc.

Until then.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so... who are you? I'd like to give you props at the next seminar.

Anonymous said...

Well who are you? ;) Where/what do you practice? Thanks for dropping by!

Anonymous said...

I'm Brad from Lisle, IL WingTsun. My Sifu is Sifu Mike Adams. I love the page, it actually has information rather than the "what is centerline" or "this lineage vs this lineage" stuff found on other pages.

Anonymous said...

Brad, welcome! Appreciate the kind words. Very true, lots of politics in WC,WT,VT. Not my cup of tea. Let me know if you'd be interested in writing a post for my site one day.

Popular Posts