MightyBands, home gym system

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Muscle Building Program Finally DONE!

So as I've mentioned in my previous post, I am participating in a 16 week muscle building program as a means to just gain back the weight and muscle that I've lost in the first half of 2008 due to the stresses of a new job, moving, renovations, etc.  

The program that I followed can be found here, under "How to build muscle in 16 weeks or less".  I was limited by a few things:

1) Equipment: I do not have access to heavy weight plates, nor a barbell. So I just used whatever was available at the gym in my apartment: dumbbells (50 lbs max) and a universal gym that allowed me to perform chest presses and flies (the dumbbells did not challenge me enough).  I found that the bent-over rows were also getting too easy in the middle of the program so I had to change it up by slowing down the movements even more and even having to go to a higher rep count (which is something that you don't really want to do in a muscle building routine). 

2) Wing Tsun Kung Fu training: this isn't a limitation but this was something I had to keep in mind. That meant, stretching post workout and Siu Nim Tao forms practice to keep the joints limber and muscles relaxed. 

3) Diet: I had to consume more than I was used to. The best part was that I got to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I wasn't eating that much to begin with, so I just let my appetite roam free. I think the goal is to get about 3000 calories a day. I don't think I hit that high (but close), nor did I watch what I was eating. I know it's stressed in the program to eat good foods. I just ate whatever. 

4) Cardio: Because I didn't hit the 3000 calorie target, I did not do any cardio training as I thought that my take away from my energy stores. I was not concerned about fat gain anyway.

5) Rest: I rested as much as I could and tried to get good sleep. There were times when I couldn't sleep well for weeks and I could feel that my body could not lift as much. Just had to tough it through, and in some cases rearrange my workout for the following day to allow for catch-up sleep. 

No major injuries to slow me down (thank you God). Did have to extend the program a few weeks because I got sick a few times so I did not workout on those days (working out adds stress to the immune system which will only prolong your sick time). 

Ok, the pictures - click here for the pix - there are four pictures: 

1) Week1
2) Week 8 (half way)
3) Week 16 (no flash)
4) Week 16 (w/ flash)

I tried to keep the lighting and environment (with exception of the fourth pic) the same throughout. I know many, when taking pictures, exagerate results by using overhead lighting or something, so i wanted to minimize this variable.  Unfortunately, the colour of the pictures are simply a result of the crappy camera itself (SONY!).  I did not tan either ;) 

Future plans - time to shed the flab in prep for the summer. Will keep you posted!

Until then.

No comments:

Popular Posts