MightyBands, home gym system

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Open House!

Well Monday night, our school had an open house. These events are always fun. You get to see new faces, meet new people and always get to watch Si-Fu do his thing. The open house event is like an informational demo incorporated into the class setting. it provides an interactive experience for newcomes to watch and then try the moves. In most cases, new students are paired up with more experienced ones.

Si-Fu loves encouraging the audience to participate in the evening, either asking questions or providing feedback or presenting "what if" scenarios. I always love watching these as it reminds me of my first day of class. I remember how in awe I was of the whole system. It's one thing to watch it sitting down and it's COMPLETELY different world to touch hands with Si-Fu and really feel the power, structure and overall skill. It's something that goes beyond the typical "Sensei punches faster than anyone here"...the difference is you feel it but in a way that you don't really get hurt (besides he usually demonstrates on his students, rather than the newbies).

As for myself, I really get inspired and energized by the newcomers that are just uber-excited when they watch. I remember it too - getting hit in the chest and, as soon as the thought of "ow" goes away, you're submerged in this "I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT ONE DAY."

I have to admit, a punch like that won't come easy for me, but it's better than when i first started ;) Regardless, the desire is still there and that's what keeps you in it.

If you haven't already, check out the open house.

Until then.


No comments:

Popular Posts