MightyBands, home gym system

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Do You Believe?

Met someone the other day. He has a great interest in Chinese kung fu, in particular Tai chi, Bagua and other, what many would say "internal arts". He was very enthusiastic and overall a very nice fellow.

What was interesting was his emphasis on the power of chi and the cultivation of chi and other internal aspects of chinese kung fu. He then went on to describe how such force was delivered either by his instructor or his instructor's Sifu and so on.

As I was just listening to him describe his insights, I wondered if i believed in the concept of Chi cultivation? I suppose I do, either because of my previous martial arts experience, exposure to traditional chinese medicine, and I suppose, the concept of life energy is pretty evident everywhere..even in "western science" (although they may not apply this concept in similar ways).

But do I believe of its use in the context of fighting? I don't think so. I'm sure, if you were to analyze it, you could RATIONALIZE that chi cultivation is in other arts, it's just that they don't know it, but i just think it comes down to hitting harder, better timing, harder training, etc. Not really about how long you stood there and would breathe, etc.

In the context of fighting, chi cultivation is good...but don't let it get in the way of the other stuff like actually sparring, of actually taking hits, of hitting the bag, etc. Remember the 80/20 rule? What is that 20% that produces 805 of your results?

Would chi cultivation be in that 20% or would physical training be in that 20%? maybe sparring?

What do you think?

Until then.

1 comment:

kyklosphaira said...

Chi, in the sense of an external supernatural power, I don't believe in. Perhaps, yet. Who knowsÉ

Extreme examples in Wing Chun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&feature=related&hl=de&v=cnApFhvV7uA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSkujscyFVQ&feature=related

However, I do think the power of suggestion is very powerful.

Chi, translated as breath, helps to build focus, awareness, and calmness. This I do believe in.

Popular Posts