MightyBands, home gym system

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Collapsing Force

I want you to watch this clip. It's from the Defendo system of self-defense (not related to wing chun in anyway).

What I wanted to point out are two things.

1) Similarities - the collapsing force that the instructor uses to describe closing in the opponent, is pretty much the same as bridging in wing tsun (or kung fu for that matter). He talks about using his entire body to deliver the blow as well as going in as you throw the attack to provide yourself cover as move forward. First WT principle: go forward.

2) Differences - In the video, the instructor throws the first punch at a distance and encourages movement on the second punch. WT, at least my interpretation, would be to close distance on the first punch. Why wait to the second?

The more I think about it, it's interesting to see the similarities between wing tsun and other arts. It's easy to criticize each other and by all means, my second point was not meant to criticize. I am only stating what's seen in the video and i'm sure there's more to it than that. I can't stand it when other arts are quick to judge (including those within wing chun circles).

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a video made up of "WT's approach" to the collapsing force idea. Stay tuned.

Until then.

No comments:

Popular Posts