MightyBands, home gym system

Monday, March 24, 2008

Testing the Waters

How do you know what you're learning in wing chun class works? How do you take it to that "unscripted" level to see exactly what you know and what you may not? Although I'm sure many do, I hope you don't just think that it just will.

Some people might associate chi-sao skill with fighting skill. Others may measure their skills by comparing themselves to their wing tsun class mates. Others may inflict pain on their co-operative training partners and assume that to be an accurate reflection of skill.

Others go sparring with friends or colleagues of martial art systems. This is what I did. What a great learning experience. However, I've found that as I get older, the opportunity to spar with others within the same experience/skill level/commitment diminishes as well.

So what do you do? how do you know you've got the goods? that you can walk the walk?

What have I done? I've done the sparring thing with various martial arts including MMA. And let me make it clear, it's not something I'm bragging about. In each session, I've learned valuable lessons. Some moments of victory, others of insight and opportunity. It makes me what I am today. What are YOU today?

No comments:

Popular Posts