MightyBands, home gym system

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Prelude to Functional WingTsun

Wing Tsun (WT) Kung Fu - for those of you who are not aware, it is a system of Chinese self-defense made famous by Bruce Lee (it was his foundation for Jeet Kune Do). I'm currently practicing at the Vancouver branch founded by Si-Fu Ralph Haenel. I've been at it since 1999, off and on, depending on my work schedule, schooling (I was at SFU for the majority of those years) and financial limitations. This is the art I'm committed to. The only other art I've focussed on prior to this was Shito-Ryu karate and dabbled in Shaolin kung fu, Choy Lee Fut and some kick boxing.

Back to the task at hand. I'm here to share with you my discoveries and challenges as I progress through this system. I would like to demonstrate (via pictures, video and text), over the life of this blog, the concept of "functional WT" - as taught to me by my Sifu combined with my own self realizations. To add, I'm sick of the "WT people can't fight but only give demos" argument, and tired of the "WT is sloppy wing chun based on a Youtube video I saw" opinion.

To each their own. But, honestly, I truly believe that there is a huge communication gap between WT and other martial art systems, as well as within the WT circle. Let me make it clear that I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, only to share with you my observations. Also, let me also make it clear that I'm not a fighter - let alone a good fighter. I'm of the perspective of self-defense - that is, I have no intentions of regularly entering a cage fight, but will do so if my life is in danger.

Let's get started shall we?

Until then.


No comments:

Popular Posts